27 March 2023
Apple has started distributing the new update for the iOS and iPadOS operating systems, with iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 versions gradually appearing on all compatible iPhones and iPads for some time now. It's the fourth major update for iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 first launched last September, and one of the last before the planned unveiling of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 at the WWDC 2023 conference in June.
What's new with iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4
- New emoji: 21 new emoji for animals, gestures and objects
- Voice Isolation for voice calls: iPhone prioritizes the quality of the user's voice and blocks out external noise during voice calls over a phone network, for an even better listening experience for the user's caller.
- Show web application notifications on the Home Screen
- Detection of duplicate photos and videos in iCloud Shared Photo Library
- VoiceOver support in Weather app maps
- Automatic brightness reduction if the video includes intense flashes and corresponding effects
- Fix a bug that did not display the Ask to Buy notification to parents after their children's requests
- Fixed a bug for Matter protocol smart thermostats that stopped working when paired with Apple Home
- Optimize the Crash Detection feature on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro.
- Fixed a bug for the Apple Pencil's response when drawing or taking notes in the Notes app
- Support for Hover Tilt and Azimuth modes for Apple Pencil that allow you to preview the action you're attempting to take in the Notes app and other compatible apps on iPad Pro 11'' 4th generation and iPad Pro 12.9'' 6th generation.
Which iPhones and iPads are compatible with iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad Air 3 or later models
- iPad 5th generation or later models
- iPad mini 5 or later models
- iPhone 8 / 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS / XS Max / XR
- iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 2020 / SE 2022
- iPhone 12 / 12 mini / 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 / 13 mini / 13 Pro / 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 / 14 Plus / 14 Pro / 14 Pro Max